Our 2018-2019 SUAF-WDC Chapter Members
Southern University and A&M College is one of the most well-known historically black colleges and universities. Southern is located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in the United States. The concept of Southern University was put forth by P.B.S. Pinchback, T. T. Allain, and Henry Demas as an institution "for the education of persons of color" at the 1879 Louisiana State Constiuttional Convention. In April 1880, the Louisiana General Assembly chartered Southern University, originally located in New Orleans, this location houses the Southern University System and SUNO. Southern opened its doors on 1881 with twelve students. One of the original locations of the early campus was the former Israel Sinai Temple Synagogue on Calliope Street, between St. Charles and Camp streets in New Orleans. Southern became a land grant school in 1890, and an Agricultural and Mechanical department was established. Due to continued growth and a lack of land for expansion, the university relocated to an Baton Rouge in a small predominately black community called Scotlandville, located along Scott's Bluff facing the Mississippi River in 1914.
For some quick facts check out this link. This is just a reference site.
Quick Facts About Southern University
- Motto: A People's Institution Serving the State, the Nation, and the World
- Established: 1880
- Type: Public Coeducation, land grant
- Chancellor: Edward Jackson
- President: Ralph Slaughter
- Staff: 1465
- Undergraduates: 8964
- Post Graduates: 1904
- Location: The SU System is located out of the Baton Rouge (main campus)
- Campuses: Baton Rouge, Sherveport, New Orleans
- Mascot: LaCumba, the Jaguar
- Colors: Blue & Gold
- Athletic Conference: SWAC (Southwestern Athletic Conference
- Major Event: the Bayou Classic
- Rival School: Grambling State University
- Major Clubs/ Affinity Groups: Alumni Federation, Quarterback Club, Jaguar Athletic Group, Sixth Man Club, Booster Club
The SUAF-WDC Chapter had a great time on Friday, 15 March for SU & Friends Happy Hour at Sim's Creole Kitchen Pop Up at 1400 Irving Street NW #109. See you at the Crawfish and Crab Boil on Saturday, 4 May at Fort Hunt Park in Alexandria, VA.
The 2019 Family and Friends Crawfish and Crab Boil is Saturday, 4 May at Fort Hunt Park.
The SU Athletic Department